The Village opens for the season around the first weekend in April. Guided Tours are available on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10am - 4pm.
Member of Trail Networks:
Virginia Oyster Trail
Virginia Oyster Trail Site Number: 145875
Professional Distinction: Demonstrations, Exhibition, Instruction
Clover Hill Village is a six acre living history village that was created by the Appomattox County Historical Society over a period of years beginning in 1991. Some of the buildings are local historic buildings that were moved from their original locations and reconstructed on the site. Other buildings are reproductions of actual buildings or representations of buildings for the period. Members of the Historical Society dress as re-enactors in period clothing during school field trips and other events. A working “Blacksmith Shop” is a big attraction with most kids and great learning experience for them as well. This shop was used from the early 1900’s to the mid 1920’s at its original location behind Hamilton’s store in Evergreen. It was relocated to Clover Hill Village in 1994. Our other buildings include the “General Store and Post Office” which are typical of many small village stores that provided essential services to the community during the period. Stores such as these often became the social center of the village. Our store building is a reproduction built from a picture of the Vermillion store in Appomattox that no longer exists. The “Poor House Cabin” typifies housing available on the county farm for the homeless or needy of the era. Often farm work could be traded for housing in the poor house cabin. The “Martin/Grady Cabin” dates back to around 1830 and was reconstructed at Clover Hill Village in 1994. The cabin contains a wealth of period furniture (much of it original to the cabin), memorabilia and furnishings for an authentic feel of life as it was then. This well worn cabin bespeaks the lives of those who called it home. Twelve children were born here. The large downstairs room is dominated by the stone fireplace. The upstairs loft is a fully furnished bedroom. Our “Winter Quarters” building is a typical example of the Confederate enlisted winter quarters. Many soldiers were grateful to have such buildings to shelter them from the brutal winters. We are very lucky to one of the oldest churches in the county, “Wesley Chapel”, in our village. It was built in 1828 and remained in use until 1939. It was moved to Clover Hill Village in April 1991. The chapel has original pews, podium, communion rail and oil burning chandeliers. It also has a working pump organ. The chapel can be rented by the public for weddings or other special functions. The “Hardy Schoolhouse” dates back to the early 1900’s and is believed to be the first school built in Appomattox County with government funding. Prior schools were usually privately built or located in privately owned buildings. Nearly 300 hours were spent by volunteer members of the Appomattox Historical Society in dismantling the school at its original site near Hixburg. Bricks, stone, siding, framing and interior wainscoting were carefully saved and moved to Clover Hill Village in the fall of 1998. Now restored to its original condition, this turn-of-the-century one room school exemplifies the simplicity of early education.